I teamed up with Crystal Farms® cheese to bring you the MOST delicious, cheesy hot sausage bites ever! With holiday parties in abundance, these are the perfect little treats to take anywhere. They’re so easy to make, and they are bite-size, so they’re even easier to eat. 🙂
I call them “bites” because they are easily consumed in one bite. I adore party food (both making it and eating it), but I always feel slightly uncomfortable when I see people with a drink in one hand, food in the other, and no way of eating their food due to it being too big to eat gracefully in front of strangers.
Party food is so much more approachable when it is bite-size! These little guys are highly addictive, I’ll warn you, so be prepared to make them for multiple holiday parties. 🙂
For the cheesy hot sausage bites, I used two types of cheese. I measured 1/3 of a cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, chopped into smaller pieces, then used it inside the meatball mixture. After the meatballs were formed and placed on a baking sheet, I sprinkled a touch of shredded mozzarella on top of them! Because … cheese. Yum.
You are welcome to change the size of these meatballs if you’d like, but I recommend only making them as big as a tablespoon. They bake quickly at such a small size, which is another plus!
These little bites are pretty spicy, but that’s exactly how I like them! If you’d like to cut down on the heat a little bit, you can substitute half of the hot Italian sausage for ground beef, or use a milder version of sausage.
I had a side of marinara ready to dip these cheesy hot sausage bites into, but I ended up just eating
ALL OF THESE BITES a few of them, daintily, on their own.
- 2/3 lbs. hot italian sausage
- 1/3 cup Crystal Farms® Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded then finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium farm fresh egg
- 1 slice wheat bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 small handful Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. grana padano cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- salt and pepper, "to taste"
- Crystal Farms® shredded Mozzarella cheese (about 1/3 cup)
- Heat oven to 400.
- Combine every ingredient except Mozzarella cheese into a large bowl. Gently combine using both hands and massaging until every ingredient comes together.
- Roll about one tablespoon of meat mixture into a ball. Place each ball onto a non-stick baking mat on a baking sheet. Be sure there is adequate space between each meatball bite (about one inch).
- Top each meatball bite with a touch of Crystal Farms Shredded Mozzarella cheese, about four to six shreds.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about twelve minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for 1-2 minutes. Slide a toothpick into the top of each bite, and place each meatball onto a platter for serving.
- Serve hot!
- 1. Grana padano cheese can be substituted with parmesan cheese.
- 2. You can't exactly taste the sausage to add salt and pepper, so add a generous amount (about 1/4 tsp. each) to ensure it is seasoned correctly. "To taste" means lay off of either if you are not a fan!