I would like to preface this blog post by letting you know that this is one of the EASIEST recipes. Ever. Why? Because I took a shortcut and used boxed cake mix for the funfetti part. Thus, mini funfetti cupcakes are ready in about fifteen minutes, even when you count the time it takes to bake them.
So, I know. Not my usual style. I am a pretty big believer in making things from scratch, using quality ingredients, and spending a little extra time if it means extra flavor.
But a girl’s got to get out of the kitchen every now and then, right? 🙂 In all fairness, I have about three boxes of cake mix sitting in my baking cupboard just begging to be used in some sort of way. This morning, I made barbacoa in the crockpot, edited a lot of photos, worked out, cleaned the apartment, and watched some of the Olympics.
Then I was like … this is nice. This whole relaxing thing is something I could really get used to! Then my mind began to wander towards easy recipe … and the boxed cake mix was the first thing I thought of. Again, this is not my typical approach to anything I make. But dear LORDY, I forgot how easy pre-made items make your life! I simply scooped one cup of funfetti cake mix straight out of the box, added a farm fresh egg (oh, the irony of store-bought cake mix and a farm fresh egg meeting to form sugary decadence), and applesauce.
That’s it! Whisk it, girl! I didn’t even use my KitchenAid. I was like “nah. screw it. it’s been working too hard lately…”
So, seriously. Three ingredients. AND I bought this tiny silicone cupcake mold on Amazon, so the cupcakes (before the frosting) are less than 30 calories a piece. If you’re needing something quick and easy to feed more than just a few people, I highly recommend making the mini funfetti cupcakes! You’ll thank me later. (I hope!) 🙂
[my additional tips!]:
Actual Prep / cook time: 15-17 minutes
Clean-up difficulty: 2
Overall difficulty to make: 1
Overall satisfaction: 9
Price range? This dish is under $3 for 2 dozen mini cupcakes.
What I would change next time? Nothing!
For your own version, I recommend:.
- Get creative with the frosting and toppings! Think chocolate, funfetti frosting, vanilla, M&Ms, snickers, sprinkles, chocolate sprinkles – the possibilities are endless.
- Just FYI, these little nuggets are less than 30 calories a piece if you leave them plain 😉
© 2016 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
- 1 cup funfetti cake mix
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. applesauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until full combined.
- Spoon 1/2 - 1 Tbsp. into a silicone mini muffin/cupcake mold. Be sure the batter only fills about 3/4 of each mold.
- Bake 10-13 minutes, or until golden and fluffy.
- Frost, sprinkle with candy or sprinkles, and serve!