It’s that time of year! The snow has fallen, the gifts are … ordered, and the cats haven’t torn down our tree yet. It’s like a real holiday season around here! Now we just need peanut butter holiday cookies with chocolate drizzle … and sprinkles. Because what would the holidays be without cookies and sprinkles? 🙂
I’ve already made a few rounds of holiday cookies this year, but these are my favorite so far. Mark is a big fan of the traditional peanut butter blossom cookies, but he usually takes the chocolate kiss out of the middle before eating one. I get it – I’m a big fan of experiencing ALL of the flavors at once, too.
To keep things traditional, this recipe starts out as a peanut butter blossom cookie. I added some Christmas sprinkles to the batter to liven it up, too! Then I drizzled on melted milk chocolate, rather than pushing a chocolate kiss in the middle, and finally finished them with silver sprinkle balls and sparkly golden flakes. Because, Christmas!
You can see the red and green sprinkles in this picture above. ^^ I didn’t get TOO carried away with them, but added just enough for a little festive fun. 🙂 These are completely optional, as they really just add to the holiday theme!
I left the sprinkles out of some of the cookies ^^ just so there would be a variety. Choose whichever option suits you best!
The thing about these peanut butter holiday cookies is that they’re so good ANY time of year. And what goes better with peanut butter cookies than milk chocolate? Maybe milk chocolate and sprinkles, but definitely nothing else.
Have fun with these! That’s the meaning of the season. Whip up some peanut butter holiday cookies, drizzle on some chocolate, and sprinkle your heart out. Just eat ’em up and enjoy when you’re done. 🙂 Happy holidays to each and every one of you!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. shortening (optional)
- crystal gold flake sprinkles
- metallic silver ball sprinkles
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the sugars, shortening, and peanut butter to a large bowl (I used a stand mixer), and mix on medium until smooth and creamy, about on minute. Bump the speed up to high, and mix for an additional thirty seconds.
- Add egg, vanilla, and milk, and mix on medium speed until fully combined, just a minute or two.
- Add baking soda, salt, and 1/3 cup of flour, . Mix in on low until flour is almost fully combined. Add the additional 1/3 cups of flour individually, waiting until the second portion is almost fully mixed in before adding the last portion. Add sprinkles to finished dough, and fold in by hand. Be sure to not over-mix the dough.
- Remove dough from the bowl, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for up to one hour.
- Spoon out one tablespoon portions of chilled dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, and let the cookies rest for 3-4 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before adding milk chocolate drizzle.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 15 second intervals. remove the bowl and stir the chocolate after each interval, until it reaches a very smooth and fluid consistency. stir in the shortening, if using.
- Spoon chocolate into a Ziplock bag, and snip off a very tiny corner of the bag. Push chocolate down towards the corner, then slowly squeeze out and "drizzle" the chocolate onto the cookies.
- Finish with golden sprinkles and metallic silver ball sprinkles.