[my additional tips!]:
Actual Prep / cook time: 8 – 9 hours
Clean-up difficulty: 1 (if you use the slow cooker liners!)
Overall difficulty to make: 2
Overall satisfaction: 9.5
Price range? This dish is under $10 for 2-3 lbs. of spicy shredded beef.
What I would change next time? Nothing!
For your own version, I recommend:.
- Double the amount of beef broth if you don’t use beer.
- Ideally, turning the beef over in the slow cooker every couple of hours is best 🙂
© 2016 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
- 2 - 2.5 lbs. chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. jalapeno, minced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup beer (I used an IPA) (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 chipotle peppers, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat on the stove top. Add olive oil once pan is warmed.
- Season both sides of the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Cook each side of the chuck roast for 3-4 minutes in the saute pan, until browned.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- In same pan, over medium heat, add green and red pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add onion and tomato, cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add jalapeño and garlic, cook 1-2 minutes (garlic will be fragrant).
- Season veggies with salt and pepper (a pinch or two).
- Add beef broth, IPA, and apple cider vinegar. If you omit the beer, simple add another 1/4 cup of beef broth.
- Add chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and seasonings. Stir everything together until well blended.
- Heat pan to medium-high heat, and allow the sauce to come to a quick boil. Let it boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn heat back down to low.
- Once the contents stop simmering, transfer them directly on top of the chuck roast in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for eight hours, or until easily shreddable.
- After eight hours, shred the beef directly in the slow cooker. Allow it to absorb as much of the juicy contents of the slow cooker as possible.
- For extra flavor, heat a sauté pan to medium-high heat, and cook the shredded beef for about one minute before eating. (This makes it a bit crispier and not as juicy!)