Spring is here, and warmer weather is soooo close! It’s been crazy here in the Midwest: tornadoes, snow, hail, and a record-breaking high temperature all happened in a one week span this month. I’m ready for consistent, beautiful weather, and sunshine! This also means it’s the time of year for lighter, healthier alternatives to some of my favorite comfort foods.
I created a very similar recipe for this fresh tomato and basil spicy pasta over a year ago, but I never posted it on the blog. I have to admit that it’s one of my current favorites, as it is quick, easy, and ideal for a weeknight dinner for two! Pasta in any form is always my go-to meal, as it was the first one I learned to make once I was out on my own. 🙂
I have gone back to working full-time, so any type of “quick and easy” dinner is such a lifesaver on nights that I don’t get home until after 7 p.m.! I didn’t think this one could get any easier, until Dorot came along! The Dorot chopped basil cubes and garlic cubes helped me cut down on prep time, as they are already chopped for me! I just popped a couple of them into my sauté pan, and added tomatoes and onions to the pan to create the most mouth-watering, basil and garlic aroma EVER. Seriously. Where have these been all my life?!
I have to say that these cubes of frozen basil (or garlic), and any other frozen products Dorot offers, have to be my new favorite thing. I specifically like the basil because it is so finely minced and then frozen, it absolutely blends into every aspect of this pasta dish. I can’t imagine a better way to incorporate it, and I could never have cut it into such small pieces on my own!
I let the fresh veggies, basil, and garlic simmer for about fifteen minutes, then added my drained angel hair pasta directly to the pan. I sprinkled in some cheese, and with a light toss, I coated every strand of pasta, then divided onto two plates for Mark and I to share. The light, bright flavor of the fresh veggies and basil really makes it pop!
Dorot chopped basil cubes each equal one teaspoon of chopped basil. I don’t know how it gets any simpler; just pop the cubes into your meal, and wha la! Flavortown. It’s almost a pesto base, but with tomato, onion, and some spice added. Ugh. I just love it.
Check out Dorot at your local Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods, or click here to find the store nearest you to snag some! They are so awesome, and I can’t wait to get my hands on some of the other varieties!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped (about 3/4 - 1 cup)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cubes Dorot frozen chopped basil
- 2 cubes Dorot frozen chopped garlic
- crushed red pepper to taste (I used 1/4 tsp. and it was spicy!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated romano cheese
- 2 servings cooked angel hair pasta
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add tomato and onion, and cook until softening, about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped basil, chopped garlic, and black pepper. Cook until blended into other veggies, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, and drizzle 1 additional Tbsp. of olive oil directly into the pan. Also add the crushed red pepper, and salt to taste. Cover the pan, and allow to simmer 15 minutes. (I like to cook my pasta during this time!)
- Once the veggie combination is very smooth and blended, add the cooked pasta directly to the veggie pan. Sprinkle the romano cheese onto the pasta, and use tongs to toss everything together.
- Serve hot, and garnish with more cheese and pepper if you like!