an awesome buffalo barbecue chicken salad with all the toppings
Warm weather means it’s officially salad season. This buffalo chicken caesar salad recipe makes enough for two big salads, but can easily be doubled or tripled if needed. It’s so good, and so easy to make! It’s part of the constant rotation on our summer dinner menu.
There’s a couple of things that set this salad recipe apart from the rest. There’s the awesome buffalo barbecue sauce, which gives a nice, subtle sweetness to the typical hot sauce. Then there’s the greek yogurt caesar dressing. It’s not mandatory, but it’s honestly delicious with this salad. We use it every. single. time. You can easily use your favorite store-bought caesar dressing if you prefer, though!
what’s in the buffalo barbecue sauce?
- hot sauce (I use Frank’s)
- spicy barbecue sauce (I use Gate’s extra spicy – it’s a KC BBQ sauce, so it still has a little sweetness)
- melted butter
- garlic powder
- freshly cracked black pepper
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Add the other ingredients, and mix to combine. Toss slices or chunks of grilled chicken (or rotisserie chicken) in the sauce, and serve it over chopped romaine or spring mix.
what toppings do I need for a buffalo chicken caesar salad?
You can be super creative with your toppings, and of course use your favorites! I recommend:
- quartered cherry tomatoes
- shredded carrot
- chopped red onion
- chopped green onion
- blue cheese crumbles OR shredded sharp cheddar
- sliced jalapeños (if you like extra heat)
Some other ideas would be:
- crumbled bacon
- sliced avocado
- grilled (or caramelized) onions
- sliced radish
- chopped celery
- pickled jalapeños
Seriously, make it your own. But the sauce is the star of the show, and it goes well with any of the toppings above!
what dressing should I use?
We love this greek yogurt caesar dressing on these salads. It’s easy to make, and it’s a lightened up version of the typical caesar dressing. You can make this dressing the day before the salads, and it will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. If you’re not a fan of caesar dressing, just use your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing instead!
One of my favorite ways to make a salad is to put all of the ingredients into a large container with a lid, add the dressing, and tightly seal it shut. Then I shake it to combine everything. It’s the best way to get a lot of flavor in every bite. 🙂
buffalo chicken caesar salad
for chicken ::
- 2 boneless chicken breasts about 6 ounces each
- salt + freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder divided
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 cup hot sauce such as Frank's
- 2 tbsp. bbq sauce
for salad ::
- 4 cups chopped romaine or spring mix
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup freshly sliced or pickled jalapenos
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt caesar dressing or more to taste!
- (or any other toppings from the list in the post!)
- Season each chicken breast with salt, pepper, and 1/4 tsp. of garlic powder. Grill the chicken either on an outside grill or in a saute pan (using 1 tablespoon of olive oil) over medium heat until completely cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the sauce ingredients together. (melted butter, hot sauce, bbq sauce, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, and about 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper).
- Remove chicken from the heat once it is cooked through. Tent with foil, and allow it to rest until it is cool enough to handle.
- Slice or chop chicken, then toss with the buffalo bbq sauce. Set aside.
- Build two salads :: start each salad with two cups of chopped romaine (or spring mix), then divide the buffalo bbq chicken between the salads. Divide the other salad toppings between the salads, and serve immediately.
> For alternate topping options, see list in blog post. > Feel free to adjust any topping amounts to fit your tastes!>>> For an easier version, use chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken to toss in the buffalo/bbq sauce!