I have made crockpot short ribs more times than any other recipe, and I remain excited about it every time I start the planning process. Itâs brings such a warm, comforting flavor to dinner; whatâs not to love?
As with a few recipes in the past, I like to turn to Pinterest for various ingredient combinations and cooking processes. This is a great recipe to do that with: so many variations of it are posted all over the internet. The following is a brief rundown of ingredients you can add or omit to your own recipe!
- olive oil
- fresh tomatoes
- tomato paste
- garlic cloves
- bay leaves
- crushed red pepper
- garlic powder
- red wine
- beef broth
- chicken broth
â¦the list continues to go on and on, but Iâll stop there to hopefully prevent overwhelming anyone even further. I have used a variation of the preceding ingredients in different short rib trials before, and I have never been disappointed with the outcome. Donât be afraid to make it your own!
For this particular recipe, I used some past preferences and a few new ideas. Please do keep in mind two major components before committing yourself to this : 1. use bone-in short ribs! Iâve tried boneless, and they fail to hold up to the constant heat exposure in a Crockpot. and 2. it does take time. I use my Crockpot every time, which works really well, but a great deal of patience is involved in order to achieve the melty, warm, delectable texture that really makes these niblets of heaven so delicious. Iâm talking upwards of seven or eight hours. Luckily, very little effort is required once they are in the Crockpot!
That being said, letâs do this!
[my additional tips!]:
Actual Prep / cook time: about 7 hours in full.
Clean-up difficulty: 3
Overall difficulty to make: 3 [just takes time and patience!]
Overall satisfaction: 8.5 [always a pleaser!]
Price range? This dish is under $10 for two.
What I would change next time? I love always switching up the ingredients!
For your own version, I recommend:
- Using your favorite flavors and running with it. Don’t like crushed red pepper? Omit it. Can’t get enough rosemary in your life? Add some in! Add and take away whatever flavors you want. The wine and beef broth will really be the basis of the flavors here, so everything else is a compliment.
Â© 2015 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
crockpot short ribs.Succulent, tender crockpot short ribs are the perfect comfort food for date night or a special dinner!Servings: 2
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 carrot stick peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed bay leaves
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 bone-in short ribs about 1 1/3 lb. total
- Turn your crockpot to low.
- Remove short ribs from packaging and pat each short rib dry on every side.
- Combine flour and 1/2 tsp. of each of the following: salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- Dredge each side of the short ribs in flour mixture, and set aside.
- Pour 1 tbsp. olive oil into a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, move around so pan is entirely coated. Lay each short rib into the saucepan, keep a good amount of space between each one.
- Cook short ribs for about one minute on each side, until lightly browned. Place each one onto bottom of crockpot.
- Add 1 more tbsp. olive oil to saucepan, turn to medium-low.
- Add finely diced carrot, cook for four minutes until somewhat soft.
- Add minced shallot, cook another two minutes.
- Add tomato paste, and cook for three minutes while gently mashing it into carrot and shallot. Coat all carrot and shallot pieces with tomato paste.
- Turn heat to low, and add red wine. Cook for a couple of minutes, or until mixture has a creamy consistency.
- Add beef broth, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, crushed red pepper, bay leaves.
- Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Stir again, and pour over short ribs into crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours until the bones easily fall out of short ribs. Serve hot!
NotesIf possible, turn the short ribs frequently and continue to coat with your delicious liquid mixture! Keeping all sides coated help it cook more evenly. Adapted from various pinterest reciepes