This stuff is NO joke. I call it loaded avocado chicken salad for a few reasons:
- It’s loaded with fresh herbs.
- It’s loaded with not one, but THREE creamy base ingredients : avocado, greek yogurt, and just a touch of mayo.
- There’s ALSO crunchy almonds, a dash of hot sauce, organic rotisserie chicken, and more spices.
- It is literally loaded with ALL the good stuff!
Ok. So let’s get started. First, we use avocados and greek yogurt instead of the traditional mayo base for our loaded avocado chicken salad. Why? Because mama is going to the gym everyday, so she needs all the help she can get. However, we do add a touch of mayo … but just for that rich, tangy flavor. Moderation … moderation.
Secondly, there’s avocados. Obviously. I slice two entire avocados, obliterate them with a muddler (yes, like a muddler you use when making mojitos, or blueberry cilantro margaritas), then add the greek yogurt. The first time I made this, I didn’t muddle the avocados, and Mark didn’t enjoy the “fluffy” texture it had. Mashing the avocado into the greek yogurt created tiny pockets of air that lead it to that whipped texture, so I started the muddling method. (He does this when he makes his famous guacamole).
That method resulted in a win. 😀
I put loaded avocado chicken salad on slider buns twice (like above ^), but then switched to multi-grain croissants for leftovers. There’s something so magical about croissants and chicken salad, right? It’s like the buttery flavor and flaky texture of the croissant perfectly compliment the creamy, tangy, crunchy chicken salad.
Plus, I feel like croissants aren’t there to compete with the chicken salad. I noticed that the slider buns took away from the total package, as they kind of wanted to be the center of attention. But the croissant was like, “No, avocado chicken salad. This is your show.” So I prefer to go that route. (That’s your daily dose of weird. Hope you enjoyed.)
Clearly, you can use whatever vessel you prefer to get this avocado chicken salad into your mouth. Whether it be traditional croissants, whole grain bread, slider buns, whatever you prefer! As long as it gets there somehow!
ALSO : Nerd alert: let’s talk about my balcony herb garden for a moment. Should I make a post about it? I feel like I should do one of those Instagram polls to ask everyone. Anyway, apparently I’m quite proud of it, and I’ve been trying to use as many herbs as possible lately in my recipes. This recipe has fresh basil, green onion, and parsley. It’s like a loaded green masterpiece, complete with crunchy almonds, organic chicken, and creamy yogurt.
Ugh, but seriously, it’s so good. You need to try it ASAP. And … bonus! We are still going strong with this summer thing, so NOW is the perfect opportunity! *cheers*
Enjoy, y’all. Or ya’ll. I’m still working out where that apostrophe officially sits … and I’m still learning how The South works. 😉 (P.S. Shoutout to KC – I MISS YOU!) <3
loaded avocado chicken salad
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green onion
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken organic
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds chopped
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper more to taste
- Slice the avocados in half, remove the pits with a knife. Slice the insides of the avocados lengthwise, then use a spoon to scrape the slices into a large mixing bowl. Use a muddler (or a fork) to mash the avocado into a smooth paste.
- Add greek yogurt and mayonnaise to the bowl, and mix to combine everything evenly.
- Add celery, green onion, parsley, basil, garlic powder, hot sauce, almonds. Mix to combine.
- Add chopped rotisserie chicken, mix in, and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon 1/2 cup onto bread of your choice (croissant, whole grain, etc.) Enjoy!