There’s a lot to be said for cozy weekend morning at home. Weekends should be about rejuvenation and enjoyment. You should always give yourself at least two days a week to focus on your happiness, and let go of the stresses that you carry around throughout the week.
Sometimes you need a hearty, comforting start to your weekend to really put your happiness into motion. Breakfast sandwiches are so easy to pick up from a fast food joint, but they can be so easy to make in your own kitchen, too! (And better! 😉 )
A simple hot sausage breakfast sandwich is exactly as it sounds. We have a local sausage company that makes some really great hot Italian sausage, so I frequently keep it in my freezer for occasions that may call for meatballs or pasta recipes. It also comes in incredibly handy for breakfast recipes, as well. I like to mix half of the hot Italian sausage with half ground beef, which mellows out some of the flavors and fats of the hot sausage.
English muffins are my favorite breads for breakfast sandwiches. They are spongy and sturdy; which is perfect to hold up to a sausage patty, cheese, and a fried egg. And the spongy part of the English muffin is just meant to sop of the excess yolk that runs onto your plate after that first bite.
This recipe is very simple, and offers wonderful results. Simply toast the English muffin halves in a cast iron skillet, then fry the sausage patties in the same skillet. Crack a couple of eggs into the skillet once the sausage patties are cooked, and fry the eggs to perfection. (I recommend covering the skillet with a lid, which allows the heat and steam from the pan to pour back over the top of the egg to cook it in conjunction with the bottom of the egg.)
simple hot sausage breakfast sandwiches
- 2 english muffins halved
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 lb. hot italian sausage
- 1/4 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup Asadaro cheese
- 2 eggs fried
- hot sauce optional
- chives for garnish
- In a medium bowl, use your hands to mash the hot Italian sausage and ground beef together until evenly combined. Try not to over mix. Form into to equal patties, each 1/4 lb. and about 1/2" thick, and set aside.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Slice English muffins in half, and butter the inside halves of both muffins.
- Place the English muffins, butter side down, into the cast iron skillet. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes, until browned. Flip. Cook another 1-2 minutes on the exterior of the muffins. Set aside and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the sausage patties. Cook until browned with a crispy exterior, and cooked through; about 4-5 minutes per side, 8-10 total minutes. Add 1/4 cup of shredded cheese directly onto each sausage patty, and cover the skillet with a lid. Allow the cheese to melt; roughly 30 seconds. Remove sausage patties from skillet and set aside, also covering to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, using the excess fat from the sausage patties as oil, crack in two eggs. Cook as desired (over easy, sunny side up, etc.) At least fully cook the whites. Season with salt and pepper on top of each egg.
- Build the sandwiches with the bottom half of the English muffin, then sausage patty with cheese, and top with the fried egg. Add hot sauce and finely chopped chives, if desired.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @aflavorjournal and on Instagram @aflavorjournal
Leave A Reply!