[my additional tips!]:
Actual Prep / cook time: 8 – 9 hours
Clean-up difficulty: 1 (if you use the slow cooker liners!)
Overall difficulty to make: 2
Overall satisfaction: 9.5
Price range? This dish is under $10 for 2-3 lbs. of spicy shredded beef.
What I would change next time? Nothing!
For your own version, I recommend:.
- Double the amount of beef broth if you don’t use beer.
- Ideally, turning the beef over in the slow cooker every couple of hours is best 🙂
© 2016 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
slow cooker spicy shredded beef
- 2 - 2.5 lbs. chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup red pepper chopped
- 2 Tbsp. jalapeno minced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup beer I used an IPA (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 chipotle peppers chopped
- 3 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat on the stove top. Add olive oil once pan is warmed.
- Season both sides of the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Cook each side of the chuck roast for 3-4 minutes in the saute pan, until browned.
- Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- In same pan, over medium heat, add green and red pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add onion and tomato, cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add jalapeño and garlic, cook 1-2 minutes (garlic will be fragrant).
- Season veggies with salt and pepper (a pinch or two).
- Add beef broth, IPA, and apple cider vinegar. If you omit the beer, simple add another 1/4 cup of beef broth.
- Add chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and seasonings. Stir everything together until well blended.
- Heat pan to medium-high heat, and allow the sauce to come to a quick boil. Let it boil for 1-2 minutes, then turn heat back down to low.
- Once the contents stop simmering, transfer them directly on top of the chuck roast in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for eight hours, or until easily shreddable.
- After eight hours, shred the beef directly in the slow cooker. Allow it to absorb as much of the juicy contents of the slow cooker as possible.
Tried this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @aflavorjournal and on Instagram @aflavorjournal
Comments & Reviews
Sara, this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this combination of flavors. When I get my family together there’s 10 of us. I get teased because I never make enough food for my big eaters. This recipe should do the trick!
sara a. says
I hope it does!! You have to let me know how it goes!
Elaine @ Dishes Delish says
This looks so good. All the flavors look like they would meld beautifully! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
sara a. says
My pleasure, Elaine! Thank you for checking it out!
Scott Groth says
Shredded chicken is a staple in our house, but this looks like a delicious way to change things up! Thanks for sharing!
sara a. says
Let me know what you think, Scott! Thank you for stopping by!