A Whole New Take on the Breakfast Sandwich
This breakfast grilled cheese is good for breakfast, or lunch, or whenever you’re craving it. It’s made with bacon, egg, cheese, and avocado, and it’s delicious! This is grilled cheese #3 in our Fall 2020 Grilled Cheese Series. Scroll to the bottom to see the other grilled cheese recipes that made the cut!
Ingredients for this Breakfast Grilled Cheese:
- Sourdough Bread
- Salt & Pepper
- Hot Sauce
- Cheddar Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Lime Juice
This grilled cheese recipe is a game changer. It’s a hearty sandwich, so I highly recommend reserving it for weekend brunch. It’s the perfect companion for a spicy Bloody Mary or mimosa, and the perfect way to start any game day!
Tips for making this the BEST Bacon and Egg Grilled Cheese:
- Leave a little bacon fat in the pan. This adds extra crunch and flavor to the bread, and even helps the bread develop a deeper golden, brown color. It’s delicious and absolutely worth it!
- Add hot sauce to the scrambled eggs. I used a 1/2 teaspoon dollop of Cholula in my scrambled eggs, and the acidity and subtle heat it brings to this grilled cheese is so necessary. You can absolutely add more if you like!
- Add lime juice to the avocado. This helps the avocado stay green, and adds a touch of acidity to the sandwich, too! Don’t worry about the avocado browning in the grilled cheese. The lime juice helps it stay green, but it also isn’t in direct contact with the heat long enough to brown.
- Use your favorite cheese! I recommend sharp cheddar and mozzarella, because combined they offer meltiness and lots of flavor. You could also use Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, mild Cheddar, Asiago, Havarti, Colby Jack, or Gouda!
Like I say in all of my grilled cheese recipes, use your favorite bread and cheese. I recommend sourdough because the flavor and texture are really good, but if you prefer French bread, Italian bread, or even sandwich bread – use that! The only problem with sandwich bread is that it tends to be thinner, and sometimes can’t contain all of the ingredients as well as the other breads.
As far as cheese goes, cheddar has great flavor, and soft cheddar has a good melting quality. Use mild or sharp for this recipe! I also recommend mozzarella because of the melting quality, but you can easily substitute it with more cheddar or another cheese that you love!
Other Grilled Cheese Recipes to Try:
- Turkey & Pesto
- Apple, Cheddar, Bacon & Arugula
- Havarti, Mozzarella & Caramelized Onions
- The O.G. Gourmet Grilled Cheese
I also recommend any of the following with some simple, spicy tomato soup or creamy roasted tomato soup! This bacon and egg grilled cheese doesn’t need tomato soup so much as it needs a Bloody Mary, which is basically like an adult version of tomato soup.
Bacon and Egg Breakfast Grilled Cheese
For the Scrambled Eggs:
- 4 Eggs
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
For the Mashed Avocado
- 1 Avocado
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Cracked Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 wedge lime about 2 tsp. lime juice
For the Bacon and Egg Breakfast Grilled Cheese:
- 6 slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread
- 2/3 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2/3 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
For the Bacon:
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon strips until crispy, flipping halfway through to cook both sides evenly, about 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Remove the pan from the heat temporarily so the remaining bacon fat doesn't burn, if necessary.
For the Scrambled Eggs:
- While the bacon is cooking, make the scrambled eggs. Whisk the eggs, hot sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper together in a medium bowl. Heat a new cast iron skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat, and add the olive oil. Add the eggs to the pan and slightly lower the heat, then cook the eggs until scrambled (about 3-4 minutes.)
For the Mashed Avocado:
- While the eggs are cooking, make the mashed avocado. Spoon ripe avocado into a bowl and add garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper, and fresh lime juice. Mash the avocado until smooth, and set aside.
For the Grilled Cheese:
- Combine the shredded cheddar and mozzarella. Set aside.
- Return the pan with the bacon fat back to the heat. Divide the softened butter between all four slices of bread, spreading about 1/2 tbsp. of butter onto one side of each slice.
- Place one slice of bread, butter side down, into the pan with the bacon fat. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of shredded cheese over the bread, then top the cheese with three slices of bacon. Spoon half of the scrambled eggs over the bacon.
- Spread half of the mashed avocado over the scrambled eggs, then top the avocado with 1/3 cup of shredded cheese. Top the sandwich with another slice of bread, butter side up. Use a spatula to gently press down on the sandwich.
- Cook the grilled cheese about 2-3 minutes until the bottom side is browned and crispy, then carefully flip. Cook the other side another 2-3 minutes until browned and crispy, then remove from the heat.
- Repeat to make the second sandwich. Slice both sandwiches in half, and serve hot!