carbs are always in season.
This is it, guys. These are the twice baked potatoes that Mark and I have officially eaten the last three times we’ve grilled steaks. I probably shouldn’t admit this, but it’s all been within the last two weeks. And you know what? I still want to eat more of them.
Do you like cheese? Bacon? Jalapeños? Potatoes? If you answered yes to those four questions, we just became best friends. I’d like to officially invite you over next weekend so we can grill some steaks, and eat twice baked potatoes. I honestly may just have two of them, and call that my meal.
There’s something really magical about smoked gouda and bacon coming together. My next smoked gouda and bacon combination is going to be some serious mac and cheese. But for now, we are going to stick to twice baked potatoes. When combined, these two provide incredible flavors of smoky / nutty / salty / buttery goodness. That’s why they’re so great with carbs : carbs love butter and salt!
But wait! There’s more! Think spicy. Because I love all things spicy. I’ve made these twice baked potatoes before with roasted jalapeños, but Mark and I both decided we prefer fresh jalapeños. The trick here is to mince them, that way they spread their spicy goodness throughout your entire potato.
Sour cream cools the heat from the jalapeño just a touch, and adds a luscious creamy texture. A splash of whole milk only enhances the creaminess, and of course there’s some butter, salt, pepper, and seasoned salt in here, too. Ugh. We’re basically just combining everything good in the world into a little potato.
You can cook your potato in the microwave, or you can take the longer route and bake it in the oven. As long as it’s soft enough to gently scoop out the center, you’re in business! Oh, and I say “it”, because this recipe uses one potato to make two halves: one for you, and one for whoever you’re trying to entice into being your best friend. If you need more, just double everything. Super easy!
I like to combine all of the fun ingredients into a bowl before the potato is done. This way, you can just scoop out the centers of the potato, toss them into the bowl with all of the fun flavors, and mix everything together. You won’t be running around at the last minute trying to measure everything out, all while your potato cools down to the point that it’s hard to mix into everything.
I really hope you get a chance to make these twice baked potatoes! They’re absolutely my favorite potato recipe this summer … (so far). If you make them, be sure to post a photo and tag #aflavorjournal on Instagram, and follow me on Instagram for more fun recipes! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
bacon + gouda + jalapeño twice baked potatoes : a small batch recipe for two
- 1 large russet potato
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup shredded smoked gouda plus more for topping
- 1 Tbsp. minced jalapeno fresh
- 2 strips chopped crispy bacon (= 2 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except the potato.
- Cook your potato in the oven or microwave until soft in the center. (Just as you would a baked potato). Slice the potato in half lengthwise, and scoop out the centers, adding them directly into your bowl of other ingredients.
- Thoroughly mix everything together. Divide the mixture between the two empty potato halves, and top with a small handful of shredded smoked gouda.
- Broil on low for about five minutes, or until the tops are bubbly and brown. (The potatoes should still be warm from the baking process! If they need a little heat, just pop the oven to 350 for 10-15 minutes until they're heated to your preference.)
- Top with sliced jalapeño and chopped chives for garnish. Serve hot!
Tried this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @aflavorjournal and on Instagram @aflavorjournal
Leave A Reply!