you deserve some booze with your fruit.
It’s SUMMER! Day 3. I’m here to gift you with a killer cocktail to enjoy this weekend while you bask in the sunshine. It’s made with fresh grilled peaches and bourbon, and I don’t know about you, but that’s really all I need in life this summer.
Peaches are stunning right now! If you have a farmer’s market near you, you need to get down there ASAP. Biting into a fresh, locally grown peach is unparalleled for the ultimate summer experience. As soon as you take your first bite, the luscious, undeniable, sweet peach juice runs down your face in unison with your sweet, sweet tears of happiness. I promise you it’s worth it.
Toss some of that heavenly peach goodness in with some bourbon, and you’ve got yourself a 5:00 somewhere. Grilling the peaches adds an extra layer of smoky, rich goodness, so we definitely are doing that first.
I also made a super small batch of honey simple syrup to add to the grilled peaches and bourbon! The process is identical to making simple syrup, so if you’re familiar with that, you’re golden. If you’re not familiar with that, I’m happy to tell you how!*
*(Kitchen note : I use a 1:1 hot-process for honey syrup. This is my go-to, because it retains a consistency that blends well with other liquids. There are alternatives if you prefer a thicker syrup, but especially with honey, it can tend to not blend as well!)
Combine one part honey (local + raw if you can find it)* with one part water. Bring to a slight simmer, stir to combine, then remove from the heat. Allow it to cool down for about twenty minutes, then add it to your cocktails. It’s also perfect for adding to coffee, hot tea, sun tea, lemonade, or whatever else you have in mind!
*(Grocery note : mass-produced honey is not actually regulated by any major industry, and can contain various syrups blended with honey. For the best quality and flavor, buy from a farmer or beekeeper you trust! Local product is best, and cutting out the middle man gives more money back into the farms!)
Muddle the peaches to release the juices after they’re grilled, then add the rest of the ingredients into the cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice, shake vigorously, and strain through a fine mesh sieve directly onto some crushed ice.
Summertime in a glass, ya’ll. (<– I can say that now, I think?) I hope you enjoy your grilled peaches and bourbon! I’m waiting until Mark gets home around 9 p.m. tonight so we can sit outside in the moonlight, and sip on our drinks. Happy weekend, and happy summer!
grilled peaches + bourbon cocktail
for small batch honey simple syrup :
- 1/4 cup honey local, raw if possible
- 1/4 cup water
for 1 cocktail :
- 1 fresh, ripe peach grilled
- 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice straight from the fruit
- 1/4 oz. fresh orange juice straight from the fruit
- 1/2 oz. honey simple syrup see instructions (so easy!)
- 1 1/2 oz. bourbon your call 🙂
for honey simple syrup :
- Combine honey and water into a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a light simmer, stir to combine the two. The honey will dissolve into the water. Remove from heat, and allow to cool until ready. Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
to grill peaches :
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Slice peaches in half. Remove the pit.
- Lightly brush the peach flesh with olive oil, and place flesh side down onto grill pan. Grill each side for about three minutes, or until grill marks are apparent and flesh is very soft.
- Flip peaches onto their backs, and grill for another minute or two to soften the skin and flesh.
to build drinks :
- We'll make these guys one at at time. Place two grilled peach halves into a cocktail shaker. Muddle until the flesh is nearly disintegrated.
- Add all other ingredients, and a handful of ice. Cover with lid and cap, and shake vigorously to break the ice into the cocktail. (At least 10 seconds ... vigorously!)
- Remove cap and grab a fine mesh sieve. Strain through the cocktail shaker lid, then the fine mesh sieve, into an old-fashioned glass full of crushed ice. Garnish with fresh thyme for some green, aromatic pop.
- Sip and enjoy!