Guacamole is one of our favorite dips! This basic homemade guacamole recipe will help you understand the basics of making guac, and then give you the freedom to adjust it to fit your tastes.
tips for making homemade guacamole
Homemade Guacamole Tip #1:
Get to know the basic components for guacamole. For this recipe, the basics are avocados, white onions, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper. (We also add fresh jalapeÃ±os to ours because we love spicy stuff.) Cilantro can be optional, considering it does not taste the same to everyone. If cilantro tastes like soap to you (a real thing for some people!), obviously don’t use it. 🙂
Homemade Guacamole Tip #2:
Make your own guacamole to fit your tastes, because that is the key here. Start with this recipe, but feel free to add more or less of any of the ingredients. Don’t love garlic? Cut out one clove, or use garlic powder if you don’t like the fresh stuff. Not a huge tomato fan? Use less, or leave it out altogether! Make your own guacamole as smooth or chunky as you like, too. There’s no right or wrong way to do it; the only way that matters is the way you like it.
Homemade Guacamole Tip #3:
Don’t be shy about adding salt and pepper (but mainly salt!) People freak out about adding too much salt and pepper to dishes, but salt makes flavors *pop*. It won’t taste overly salty, but it will bring out every other flavor. Once all of the main ingredients are mixed together, start adding salt a little bit at a time. Taste as you go, and note the difference every time you add just a little bit more. Season it until you taste it and you think, “OH wow. That’s perfect!”
Homemade Guacamole Tip #4:
If you want a creamy guacamole, use a potato masher! This method breaks down the avocados faster, and mashes the tomatoes, onions, and garlic into the avocados better. We’ve used forks before, but we think a potato masher is more efficient!
what to eat with guacamole
That’s it! Tag me on Instagram if you get a chance to make your own guacamole! And as always, feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions you may have. Mark is really the master-guacamole-maker in our household, but I have constant access to him so he can answer any questions, too. 🙂
Happy guacamole making!
basic homemade guacamole
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2 medium white onion finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 small roma tomato finely chopped (1/4-1/3 cup)
- 2 small cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno de-seeded and finely chopped (about 2 Tbsp.) (optional!)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro optional
- freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Halve the avocados, remove the pits, and then peel the skins off of the avocado flesh. Chop the flesh into smaller cubes, then add to a large bowl.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, garlic, and jalapeño. Use a potato masher to mash everything into the avocado. Add cilantro and lime juice, and stir in with a spoon.
- Add a healthy pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Stir thoroughly, then taste the guacamole. Add a little pinch of more of salt, then stir and taste again. Adjust to fit your tastes!
- Serve immediately.