This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CrispyCreations #CrispiestChicken #FriedChicken #CollectiveBias
Seeing as Oktoberfest is currently going on, I’ve made chicken schnitzel a couple of times by now. The first time I used the typical breadcrumb mixture, but the second time I tried something totally different. Corn Starch! I had NO idea that mixing flour and corn starch could create a super crispy chicken schnitzel, but now I won’t make it any other way.
I usually use corn starch as a thickening agent for sauces and soups. I had no idea that using corn starch as part of the coating for chicken schnitzel would create an audibly crunchy and beautifully browned crust. Argo® Corn Starch actually makes your fried chicken the crispiest fried chicken, and it’s naturally gluten free! Crunch is everything when it comes to this schnitzel, so I definitely recommend using the corn starch method for that guaranteed crunchy, ultra crispy goodness!
Keeping Argo® Corn Starch on hand is like having a secret weapon in your back pocket. It thickens sauces, can be used as a binding agent in baking, makes super crispy chicken, and has so many possibilities in recipes! Use it not only in chicken schnitzel, but also for any fried chicken. Then make gravy with it for a double win! And since Argo® Corn Starch is the leading corn starch brand with over 100 years of quality and trust over multiple generations, it’s a no brainer.
Sprinkle some salt over the schnitzel as soon as you remove it from the pan, then squeeze some fresh lemon to add acidic balance. So simple. So good.
This recipe is SO EASY, and it will definitely be a crowd pleaser. Who doesn’t like super crunchy fried chicken!? Just keep it simple with few, but effective, ingredients. Use awesome chicken, and don’t be afraid of flavor. Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you make this chicken schnitzel. I want to see!
Hope you have an amazing October. Get ready for a ton of recipes coming your way!
crispy chicken schnitzel
- 2/3 cup Argo® Corn Starch
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder divided
- 1 tsp. salt divided
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large chicken breasts (about 1/4 lb. each)
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil plus more as needed
- fresh lemon
- Combine Argo® Corn Starch, all-purpose flour, and 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add remaining garlic powder, salt, pepper, and eggs in a separate large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Butterfly both chicken breasts. (Lay the breast flat on a cutting board, hold the knife parallel to the cutting board, then cut the chicken in half to create a top half and bottom half.)
- Lay a large sheet of plastic wrap on the counter. Set one of the chicken breast halves on the plastic, then cover with plastic wrap of equal size to the first piece. Use a mallet or heavy-bottomed pan to pound the chicken to 1/4" thick. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Dredge the first chicken half in egg mixture, then in the corn starch mixture. Press the corn starch mixture into the chicken to fully coat it. Set aside, and repeat with remaining chicken.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot and shimmering, cook coated chicken breasts one at a time, about 2-3 minutes per side until crunchy and golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil. Immediately sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Repeat for remaining chicken, and add more oil as needed.
- Serve crispy chicken schnitzel hot, with a squeeze of fresh lemon. Enjoy!