The Cheesiest Twice Baked Potato Recipe for Two People
If you’re a cheesy potato lover, you are IN. LUCK. This cheesy twice baked potato recipe comes packed with cream cheese, cheddar, AND Pepper Jack (or Colby Jack if you don’t want it spicy). It’s ultra-creamy, ultra-cheesy, and delicious. If you use the microwave to cook the potatoes, this recipe comes together in about 30 minutes. If you use the oven, it’s about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Either way, it makes two super cheesy twice baked potatoes. 🙂
Ingredients for these Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes:
- 1 large Russet Potato
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 tsp. Seasoned Salt
- 2 tbsp. Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Pepper Jack Cheese (or Colby Jack)
- 1 tbsp. Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
IMPORTANT INGREDIENT NOTES & RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Use Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or your favorite cheese. Cheddar tastes so good with potatoes, and Jack cheeses are soft and very melty, so they are a perfect companion for cheddar in these potatoes. If you want a little kick, use Pepper Jack. If you prefer a milder cheesy potato, Monterey Jack or Colby Jack are perfect, too! If you really love cheddar (or don’t want to buy more than one cheese), just use all cheddar!
- Full fat sour cream tastes a little better. You can use low-fat, but the flavor of full-fat sour cream tastes better with these potatoes.
- Whole milk can be substituted with low-fat milk, half & half, or heavy cream.
- Whipped cream cheese with chives is also very delicious! Use the original whipped cream cheese or the whipped cream cheese with chives for the most delicious potatoes.
These cheesy twice baked potatoes are soft and gooey, so if you add extra cheese on top, the weight from the cheese will sink the potato as it bakes. They are REALLY delicious, and they won’t be concave by any means, but the tops will appear to be flat instead of rounded. Just a heads up!
Steps for Making these Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes:
- If you’re baking the potato in the oven, preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Wash and scrub the potato under cold water. Pierce it all over with a fork.
- Place the potato directly on a rack in the pre-heated oven, or in the microwave. Bake for about 50 minutes to an hour in the oven, or about 3-4 minutes per side in the microwave until tender.
- Once the potato is cooked, set the oven temperature to 375 F.
- Cut the potato in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the cooked potato into a bowl, leaving about 1/2″ of potato around the skins so they don’t break.
- Add the butter, seasoned salt, a pinch of salt and pepper, and whipped cream cheese to the bowl with the potato. Smash these ingredients into the potato with either a fork or a spoon until totally combined. Stir in the cheese, then stir in the milk and sour cream.
- Taste, and season with more salt or pepper if it needs it. Divide the cheesy potato mixture between the hollowed-out potato skins. Top with more cheese if you like. 🙂 (note, this does sink the potatoes as they cook, so they will be flatter when they come out of the oven. But REALLY gooey and cheesy.)
- Bake them at 375 F for about 15 minutes (until the cheese is melted), then broil them on low for a few minutes if you want a crunchy browned cheesy top. Sprinkle with chives for a fresh color pop.
More Potato Recipes to Try:
- Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes for Two
- Jalapeño, Bacon, and Gouda Twice Baked Potatoes for Two
- Buttery Small Batch Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes for Two
- Small Batch Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes (Smaller Batch)
If you make these, be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can see your awesome creations. And as always, feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have!
Cheers to your dinner tonight, and cheers to your gooey, cheesy twice baked potatoes!
Super Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes for Two
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt (such as Lawry's)
- 2 tbsp. whipped cream cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese*
- 1/3 cup shredded pepper jack cheese* (or colby jack)
- 1 tbsp. whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- salt + pepper (to taste)
- Wash the potato under cold running water, then dry with a kitchen towel. Poke holes all over the potato with a fork.
- If using the oven, rub a little neutral oil (such as vegetable or canola) over the potato, and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425 F for 50-65 minutes, until soft in the center. (You can test this by wearing oven mitts and gently squeezing the potato, and if it gives, it's good to go!)If using the microwave, just pop it in and hit the "potato" setting, or cook for about 4 minutes, carefully flip it over, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until done.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the potato in half lengthwise. Set the halves next to one another, and gently scoop the cooked potato into a medium bowl. Leave a little border near the skin of the potato so it doesn't break.
- Add the butter, seasoned salt, and whipped cream cheese to the bowl. Use a fork to smash these ingredients into the potato, eliminating as many lumps as possible.
- Sprinkle cheese into the bowl, and stir in completely. Add milk and sour cream, and stir until completely combined. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Divide the potato mixture between the hollowed-out potato skins. If you're feeling extra, top the potatoes with even more cheese.
- Bake the potatoes at 375 for about 15 minutes. If you want the cheese to be browned and bubbly on top, switch the oven to a low broil, place the potatoes about an inch beneath the broil, and broil for 2-3 minutes until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives, and serve hot!
Tried this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @aflavorjournal and on Instagram @aflavorjournal
Leave A Reply!