[my additional tips!]:
Actual Prep / cook time: 20 minutes
Clean-up difficulty: 3
Overall difficulty to make: 2
Overall satisfaction: 9
Price range? This dish is under $10 for four sliders.
What I would change next time? Nothing!
For your own version, I recommend:.
- Omit the jalapeño if you prefer them to not be spicy.
- If you would prefer to use garlic powder rather than minced garlic, simply add about a teaspoon directly on top of the ribeye as you are sautéing it! 🙂
© 2016 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
philly cheesesteak sliders (makes four sliders)
For meat and veggies
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 1/2 green pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2 white or yellow onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 jalapeno minced, remove seeds for less heat
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 8 oz. boneless ribeye shaved as thinly as you can
- 4 slider buns
For cheese sauce
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1/3 cup milk I use 2%
- 1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add green pepper, cook 7-8 minutes until starting to soften. Add salt and pepper to season.
- Once the green pepper starts to soften, add onion. Cook 5-7 minutes until it becomes translucent and also starts to soften.
- Turn the heat down to low-medium, and add jalapeño and garlic. Mix in well with the peppers and onions.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, continuing to mix all ingredients into one another. Then push the entire veggie mixture to one side of the sauté pan.
- On the empty side, add the shaved ribeye, a little more salt, and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes until mostly browned. Combine with veggies, and you're ready to serve!
For cheese sauce
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour, and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add milk slowly, and whisk to combine fully.
- Bring to a quick boil, then immediately turn down to a simmer a couple of minutes, until it starts to thicken. Sprinkle in the cheese and whisk until blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the slider buns in half. Top with meat and veggies, then cheese sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!
2. Seriously, slice it as thin as you possibly can. Or better yet, have your butcher do it for you. (You'll be so thankful for him/her!)
3. Omit the jalapeño if you do not like it spicy.
4. Substitute about a half to a full teaspoon of garlic powder for minced garlic if you like!
5. THIS RECIPE MAKES (4) SLIDERS THAT HAVE 2 OZ. EACH OF RIBEYE. Simply double the recipe to make more! 🙂