An Easy, Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe.
This chicken tortilla soup recipe is a year-round favorite! Most of my recipes are small-batch-versions for just two people, but this soup recipe makes about four total servings. It’s one of those soups that can be refrigerated overnight, and tastes even better the next day. So why not have a couple extra servings on hand for the nights you want something warm and cozy, but don’t feel like making a mess in the kitchen?
Ingredients for Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup
This recipe is all about convenience. The most difficult part is chopping vegetables and shredding rotisserie chicken! Here is a convenient list of ingredients to pick up to make this chicken soup:
- Unsalted Butter
- White Onion
- Green Pepper (red, yellow, or orange will also work!)
- Jalapeño (optional if you don’t like the heat!)
- Spices: Mexican Oregano, Smoked Paprika, Ancho Chili Powder, Cumin
- 15 oz. can of Black Beans
- 15 oz. can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Low-sodium Chicken Broth
- Roasted Salsa Verde (I keep a jar on hand for eating with chips, but this can be optional if you don’t have any!) A small can of green chiles will also work if you don’t want a lot leftover!
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Cracked Pepper
- Tortilla Chips
- Garnishes of your choice! Such as Cilantro, Sour Cream, Shredded Cheese, etc.
Can I make this Chicken Tortilla Soup Creamy?
The easiest way to make this soup creamier is to stir in some sour cream and shredded cheese once the soup is ready to serve! When I originally tested this, Mark requested that I add cubed Velveeta cheese to his soup as it cooked. It may sound odd, but it’s a delicious way to make this soup creamy and cheesy! A hotel he used to work at used Velveeta as their secret ingredient in chicken tortilla soup, and Mark loved it. Any other grated cheese will also work, but stir it in at the very end! I recommend Monterey Jack, Havarti, Medium or Sharp Cheddar, or a “Mexican Cheese Blend”.
How can I make this into a Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup?
There are a few ways to make this chicken tortilla soup recipe even spicier!
- Double the amount of jalapeño that the recipe calls for. Add two tablespoons with the green pepper, onion and carrot, then add another two tablespoons of jalapeño with the black beans and tomatoes. Adding the jalapeños later in the recipe will help them retain their heat!
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper along with the other spices.
- Grate Pepper Jack, Jalapeño Havarti or Habañero Cheddar into the soup before serving for an extra kick and some creaminess!
- Stir in some of your favorite hot sauce along with the chicken broth, and use it as a topping!
Tips for Making the Best Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Fresh ingredients are always the best! Fresh vegetables, fresh garlic, and fresh lime are ideal for making this chicken soup as tasty as it can be. I recommend avoiding jarred garlic and lime juice, because the flavors just don’t bring as much to the recipe as the fresh ingredients do.
- Thoroughly rinse the canned black beans. Canned black beans sit in a liquid that is packed with sodium and weird flavors, so be sure to rinse them thoroughly before adding them into the soup. You can rinse them in a colander, which is easiest.
- Low-sodium chicken broth is necessary. I’m a big lover of salt, but regular chicken broth can make or break a recipe. Adding salt to fit your taste is the best way to make this soup the best it can be, so be sure to use low-sodium chicken broth and avoid making an overly salty soup!
- Use an “original” flavored rotisserie chicken. Some rotisserie chickens have added flavors, such as lemon pepper or garlic and herb. For this soup, be sure to grab a basic rotisserie chicken with no additional flavors added. While those versions of rotisserie chicken are delicious for other recipes, it can throw off the flavors in this soup. I love to grab a basic Costco rotisserie chicken for this recipe!
What toppings should I use for this Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Here’s what I recommend for Chicken Tortilla Soup toppings!
- Sour Cream (or Mexican Crema!)
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Shredded Cheese (such as Mexican cheese blend, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, or Monterey Jack!)
- Chopped Cilantro
- Chopped Avocado
- Hot Sauce
Other Soup Recipes to Try!
Here are some of my other favorite soups to try! A lot of them are small batch recipes for two!
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup for Two
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup for Two
- Spicy & Simple Tomato Soup for Two
- White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup for Two
I hope you love this soup! If you get a chance to make it, I would love if you tagged or mentioned me on Instagram so I can see! You can also follow me on Pinterest for more recipes, and feel free to email me if you have any specific questions I can help with!
Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup
For Soup ::
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Bell Pepper or red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped White Onion or yellow onion
- 2 tbsp. grated Carrot
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Jalapeño
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt plus more to taste
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Ancho Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 15 oz. canned Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. canned Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cups shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 tbsp. Salsa Verde*
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed Lime Juice
For Garnishes :: (All Optional!)
- crushed Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Avocado
- Shredded Cheese Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Cheddar, or a Mexican Blend
- Pico de Gallo
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped bell pepper, onion, carrot, jalapeño, and a pinch of salt. Stir the vegetables to coat in the butter, and let cook for 8-9 minutes until very soft and slightly browned.
- Stir in minced garlic, ancho chili powder, cumin, Mexican oregano, and black pepper. Cook one minute.
- Stir in black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, shredded chicken, and salsa verde. Stir to combine, and simmer over medium for 15-20 minutes. Taste as it cooks, and season with more salt, pepper, or other seasonings if you like!
- Squeeze in the fresh lime juice, and stir to combine. Spoon the soup into bowls, and garnish with crushed tortilla chips and your other favorite toppings, such as sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, or cilantro!