the best homemade skinny margarita recipe
Making a skinny margarita at home is incredibly quick, simple, and rewarding. I’ve never been a fan of the pre-made mixes that most restaurants offer; they’re so sweet, sticky, and unsatisfying. But this skinny margarita recipe is full of fresh citrus juice, light agave nectar, and (of course) tequila!
Mark and I haven’t found margaritas here that match the ones back home, so we’ve been making a lot at home lately. Luckily, I get to share those recipes with you! We’ve also made blueberry cilantro margaritas, grilled pineapple margaritas, and I have a skinny blackberry margarita coming for you next week!
what is in a skinny margarita
What makes a margarita a “skinny” margarita? Simply put, it doesn’t have all the sugar and crap that comes in pre-made mixes. This skinny margarita recipe consists of only fresh lime juice, fresh orange juice (rather than orange liqueur that normal margaritas use that have a lot of sugar), light agave nectar, and tequila blanco. I personally like using either tequila blanco or reposado. Tequila blanco is clear, and reposado is briefly aged in barrels to give it a touch of flavor and color. This is definitely a matter of preference, so use your favorite!
I can’t stress enough how easy this is. Grab about one lime per margarita, half an orange, a teaspoon of the agave nectar, and a shot of your favorite tequila. A standard shot is 1.5 ounces; we usually use about two ounces though. 🙂 I made the recipe to use a standard shot, but feel free to add a touch more tequila if it’s been a rough week. Or, if you’re like us, you enjoy the balance of booze / citrus / and sweetness.
I hope you get to make these skinny margaritas as soon as you can … I mean there’s Margarita Monday, Tequila Tuesday, uhh … Wednesday …, then Thirsty Thursday, and the weekend! It all works. I promise. 🙂 Cheers!
skinny margarita recipe
- 1.5 ounces tequila blanco or reposado
- 1.5 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- kosher salt for rim
- lime wheels for garnish
- Pour kosher salt into a pile onto a small plate. Use a lime wedge to trace the rims of the cocktail glass, coating the entire surface of the rim.
- Dip the rim into the salt, coating the entire rim. Set aside until ready to use.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and agave nectar. Shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds, then pour entire contents into the salted glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and enjoy!