skinny blackberry margarita
There’s not many cocktails I love more than margaritas. They’re so refreshing, lower in calories if made fresh, and seriously delicious. This skinny blackberry margarita is easy to make, and offers a kick of flavor on top of my basic skinny margarita!
Always feel free to adjust any of the fresh juices or agave to fit your taste. There is no wrong way to make this margarita, as long as you use the ingredients listed. If you like a sweeter margarita, increase the amount of agave. If you like your margaritas tart, throw an extra blackberry or two, and squeeze a little more lime into it. This recipe is a perfect starting point for making a skinny blackberry margarita, but feel free to experiment and find your perfect balance!
what is a skinny margarita?
A “skinny” margarita is one made with fresh juices and minimal sugar. Margaritas from restaurants typically contain a syrup-y mix loaded with sugar, and little to no fresh juice. The beauty of making your own margaritas at home is the ability to use fresh ingredients, and adjust your own margarita to fit your taste.
Some of my FAVORITE cocktail recipes on this blog are margarita recipes! Besides this skinny blackberry margarita, I also have recipes for:
All of them are delicious! The blueberry cilantro margarita is also really easy, as is the skinny fresh margarita recipe. The grilled pineapple one takes a bit of time and effort, but I promise you it’s worth it!
how to make a skinny margarita
You’re going to love how easy this is! Simply build ice, fresh lime juice, a splash of fresh orange juice, a squeeze of agave, and tequila in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds, (your hands will get very cold!), then dump all the ingredients into a glass with a salted rim. Garnish with a lime wedge, and you’re done!
The only extra step in this skinny blackberry margarita recipe is muddling blackberries in the cocktail shaker before adding all of the other ingredients. That’s really it! I also like to combine sugar with the salt rim for this margarita. The blackberries are tart, so a touch of added sweetness helps to balance it all out.
Cheers to your margarita making at home! Tag me on Instagram to show me your gorgeous cocktails!
skinny blackberry margarita
- 10 blackberries
- 4 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces fresh orange juice
- 4 ounces tequila blanco 100% agave
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Mix the salt and sugar together on a small plate. Run a lime wedge around the rims of two cocktail glasses, then dip the rims into the salt and sugar mix. Set rimmed glasses aside until ready to use.
- Muddle blackberries in the bottom of a large cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker with ice, then add lime juice, orange juice, tequila, and agave. Secure the lid onto the shaker, and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Fill the rimmed glasses with ice. Remove the lid from the shaker, and strain the shaker contents into the two glasses. Garnish with a lime wheel and blackberry!