The weather is a bit sketchy right now, but we are getting closer to warm weather any day now. And what does warm weather call for? Refreshing cocktails! Like a blackberry bramble. 🙂
What is a blackberry bramble?
A blackberry bramble is a cocktail made with gin, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, and Crème de Mûre (which is a blackberry liqueur). The bramble was created by a British bartender in London, back in the 1980s. It has awesome floral and citrus notes from the gin, and sweet berry flavor from the blackberry liqueur. Rounded out with more citrus from the fresh lemon juice, and more sweetness from the simple syrup, it delivers an awesome, refreshing taste.
what do I need to make a blackberry bramble?
Not much! Four ingredients are all you need:
- gin (London Dry or Plymouth, if you want to be picky)
- fresh lemon juice
- simple syrup (1 part sugar mixed with 1 part hot water)
- blackberry liqueur (this takes a few days to blend, but it’s well worth it!)
what are some other refreshing drinks I can try?
I’m all about the lists. Here’s another one for you! 🙂
- blueberry cilantro margaritas — tequila based.
- grilled pineapple and jalapeno margaritas — tequila based.
- grilled peach and bourbon cocktails — bourbon based.
- spa day cocktail (with cucumber and grapefruit) — vodka based.
- and another blackberry cocktail – this skinny blackberry margarita is *delicious*!
But ever since I made the blackberry liqueur to add to our bar cart, Mark and I have been making these brambles like crazy. The fact that it’s also happy hour everyday at our house (that whole stay-at-home order) REALLY amps up the appearance of the brambles around here. But they’re just so refreshing, they’re SO easy, and we really love them.
If you make these brambles, I would love to see your photos on Instagram! Be sure to tag #aflavorjournal so I can share them to my stories, too! And if you ever have any questions, shoot me an email so I can help.
I think it’s time for another happy hour. 🙂 Cheers!
- 2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce blackberry liqueur
- Combine gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Put the lid on the shaker, and shake vigorously for thirty seconds.
- Fill a rocks glass with crushed ice, then strain the contents of the shaker into the glass.
- Drizzle the blackberry liqueur on top of the cocktail.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel and blackberry, and serve immediately.
- Combine equal parts sugar and hot water in a jar with lid. Seal shut, and shake until the sugar is dissolved. Cool until ready to use.
- Combine equal parts sugar and water in a small sauce pan over low heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool until ready to use.