If you have the time, let this sauce chill for a while. Make a skinny margarita (or blueberry cilantro margarita, or maybe a skinny blackberry margarita!) before you do anything else, enjoy that margarita as you create your creamy tex-mex sauce, then pop the sauce in the refrigerator while you finish your beverage. Or just top some pork carnitas tacos with this sauce as soon as it’s made … just saying. Do you.
what can I pair with tex-mex sauce?
- spicy shrimp tacos (these have a sauce in the recipe, but this sauce would also be good!)
- pork carnitas sliders (pictured above!)
- pork carnitas tacos
- small batch spicy pork carnitas
- small batch barbacoa tacos
- fish tacos
[my additional tips!]:
Actual Prep / cook time: 2 minutes
Clean-up difficulty: 1
Overall difficulty to make: 1
Overall satisfaction: 8
Price range? This dish is under $2 for two to four people.
What I would change next time? I always like things spicy, so maybe some cayenne! 🙂
For your own version, I recommend:.
- Use your favorite hot sauce
- Feel free to get creative and add extra ingredients if you like! I always want to hear how everyone adapts recipes to make them their own!
© 2016 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
*This recipe was updated on 6.7.2020 after multiple retests.* *for the original recipe, please email me!*
creamy tex-mex sauce.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk (I used 2%) plus more for a thinner sauce
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce I used garlic chili Cholula!
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Whisk sour cream and mayonnaise together until creamy and fully blended. Slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Whisk in the seasonings, then add the hot sauce and lime juice. Whisk until all ingredients are totally blended, and the sauce is smooth. Add more milk, one tablespoon at at time, to thin out the sauce (if desired).
- Cover the sauce with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for a couple of hours if you can; the flavors blend better that way!