Brussels sprouts are easily one of our favorite vegetables, and one that we eat almost weekly. These small batch roasted spicy brussels sprouts with parmesan are a really good side dish for date night in! They are perfect to eat with grilled steak, roasted chicken, or whatever you like!
This recipe makes enough for two people, but can be doubled or tripled as needed. I always use my 1/8 size sheet pan, which I highly recommend getting if you make a lot of recipes for just yourself or for two.
Roasting the brussels sprouts, onions, and garlic on high heat creates this delicious caramelization and depth of flavor that totally transforms them both. The coating of olive oil helps them from burning, and a good pinch of salt and pepper brings everything together.
The squeeze of fresh lemon at the end adds some acidity, and balances out the whole dish.
Other side dishes that are incredible for date night are:
- loaded twice baked potatoes
- gouda, bacon, jalapeno twice baked potatoes
- garlic parmesan mashed potatoes
- the best caesar salad
small batch roasted brussels sprouts with parmesan
- small rimmed baking sheet (about 9" x 7")
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- 8 ounces fresh brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped onion yellow or white
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil best quality
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 wedge lemon
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Cut the stem ends off of the brussels sprouts. If they are small, cut them in half. If they are larger, cut them into quarters. (The goal is to chop the pieces as equal in size as possible.)
- Place chopped brussels sprouts into a large bowl. Add chopped onion, smashed garlic cloves, and crushed red pepper. Drizzle on olive oil, then use tongs to toss the ingredients together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss again.
- Spread the brussels sprouts out onto a small rimmed baking sheet (about 9" x 7"). Pop it into the oven, and cook for 15 minutes at 425. Carefully remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle with parmesan, and use tongs to toss the brussels sprouts with parmesan. Return to the oven, and cook another 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Remove from the oven, and squeeze fresh lemon over the sprouts. Toss with tongs again, and serve immediately.