The first time I decided to get brave in the kitchen, I found myself wanting to cook a Cajun chicken pasta. Now, I was still pretty limited as far as any kind of technique or general knowledge in the kitchen is concerned, so I stuck to what I was comfortable with and went forth. Ever since that day, and my general success with this method, I have stuck to a creamy, spicy chicken bowties dish! It is super easy to throw together, extremely versatile (if you have people in your life that don’t care for certain veggies – just swap them or omit them altogether!)
Â© 2015 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
spicy chicken bowties.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 small off-the-vine tomato diced
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 8 oz. regular whipping cream
- 2 servings bowtie pasta drained
- Heat large saucepan to medium heat, add olive oil. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper on one side, and add to pan once it is fully heated with seasoned side down. Cook 4-5 minutes on seasoned side, top unseasoned side with salt and pepper, and flip over. Cook another 4-5 minutes on this side, and then remove from pan and place back onto (clean) cutting board.
- Add zucchini and tomato to same saucepan. Sprinkle 1 tsp. of salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and 1/2 tsp. basil onto veggies. Cook for five minutes, then add minced garlic and shallot.
- Add one more tbsp. of olive oil, and cook for another five minutes.
- Add regular whipping cream to veggies, bring entire saucepan to a quick boil. Turn back to a simmer, and let cook 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice or shred chicken on cutting board. (I prefer shredded, personally), and also cook the bowtie pasta according to instructions on pasta box.
- Once whipping cream has thickened, move chicken back into the saucepan with the veggies and cream. Coat all chicken evenly with cream sauce, and add one more tsp. crushed red pepper and one tsp. oregano.
- Remove pasta from heat, drain thoroughly, and combine with chicken and sauce in large saucepan. Coat all pasta evenly, and serve hot!