I don’t know if you’ve heard, but fall is officially slow cooker season. Kidding. It’s obviously what some of us live for every year, and I’m here for it. I’m also here for all of the buffalo chicken recipes, so it’s only right to combine the two. This slow cooker buffalo chicken is pretty much a foundation for [one thousand] future recipes, so I need to share it with you immediately. 🙂
Yes, this is one of my smaller batch recipes. It’s perfect for a dinner for four, or in our case, a dinner for two with leftovers for a couple of days. You can safely keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, which gives you plenty of time to eat them up.
You know those little crockpots that people use for cheese dip? Like the two quart-ish size? That’s what I use for my small batch slow cooker recipes, like this one. The reason I use the smaller one is because the compact space ensures that the chicken is covered with sauce and veggies, and doesn’t dry out. You can definitely use a larger one, though! Just be sure to really coat the chicken in sauce before you cook it! Or, of course, if you’re doubling this recipe – use a bigger one. 🙂
This recipe makes about a pound and a half of shredded buffalo chicken, but feel free to increase the amount if you’re feeding a crowd. Also feel free to adjust the ingredients to fit your tastes! Use one clove of garlic if you aren’t a big fan, or add less onion if you think you want less. The basics of the recipe are what matters; your judgment is just as important! And this buffalo chicken is pretty forgiving, so other than making it too spicy, you can’t really go wrong.
You can use this recipe for these buffalo chicken sliders, which is *the* most popular post on my blog. Or stuff it in some quesadillas with melty cheese and bacon, or make lettuce wraps out of them! Buffalo chicken dip? Buffalo chicken salad? There’s so many options.
slow cooker shredded buffalo chicken
- slow cooker
- 2 chicken breasts totaling about 1 - 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced about 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeno
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced about 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 tsp. dry ranch seasoning mix
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce such as Frank's Original
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Season chicken breasts with salt, about 1/4 tsp. per chicken breast. Set the low cooker setting to "high".
- Place chicken breasts inside the slow cooker. Add onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Sprinkle in ranch seasoning mix and black pepper, then pour in honey and hot sauce. Use tongs to mix everything together.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked through, shred it directly inside the crockpot. Add butter, then turn heat to low. Toss the shredded chicken again with tongs, then allow the chicken to rest in the slow cooker for about an hour. Toss occasionally to continue coating the chicken in sauce.
- Turn off heat, uncover, and let the chicken sit for about 15 minutes so the sauce thickens.
- Serve on lettuce wraps, sliders, or whatever you please!