A super delicious chicken vegetable soup recipe for two people that makes about one quart of soup and comes together in 25 minutes; let it simmer for as long as possible for the best flavor!
I. Love. This. Soup. Mark actually raved about this soup, and while he does love almost all of my recipes, this is easily a current favorite for him. It’s a small batch recipe, and makes about a quart of soup. There’s chicken breast, lots of vegetables (including potatoes), whole milk, a splash of white wine, and seasonings for tons of flavor. It comes together in about 25 minutes, but I highly recommend letting it simmer for an additional 30-45 minutes for the best flavor.
We love having this soup for dinner on cold, busy weeknights. It pairs perfectly with a quick chopped salad or just a few pieces of crusty bread!
Ingredients for this Chicken and Vegetable Soup for Two:
- 6 oz. Chicken Breast seasoned with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 medium Yellow Potato (Yukon Gold), peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 Carrot, chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- 1 Celery Stalk, chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped Yellow Onion
- 2 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. dry White Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ tsp. White Miso Paste
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp.Paprika
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh Parsley, or 1/2 tsp. dried
- ½ cup Whole Milk
Ingredient / Recipe Notes:
- You can substitute shredded rotisserie chicken for chicken breasts in this recipe. Skip the first two steps, and cook the potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions in olive oil AND Italian seasoning as the first step. Stir in shredded rotisserie chicken in step five.
- I love using Chicken Bone Broth for this recipe. There’s a ton of flavor in it, and so much protein. I specifically use this one from Smart Chicken, but any should work! You can also use a low-sodium regular chicken broth if you can’t find bone broth.
- Dry White Wine means one that isn’t sweet. I buy a small 500 mL box of the Black Box Pinot Grigio and keep it on hand just for cooking!
- White Miso Paste isn’t a common ingredient, but it makes a huge difference in flavor. I keep this one in my refrigerator, and also use it for these Date Night Short Ribs for Two. I also love these pouches of white miso paste for easy storage!
- Whole Milk is important because of the fat content. It may appear to separate from the soup during and after it simmers, but just stir the soup vigorously to blend it back together if this happens!
- If you want to add more veggies, I recommend fresh green beans, diced tomatoes, or chopped bell pepper. Add them with the other veggies in step three!
Comments & Reviews
I love this recipe so much! I’ve made it several times and it never fails. Also, I take a short cut and use rotisserie chicken. Thank you.
sara a. says
I’m SO happy to hear that you love it, Meredith!! And the rotisserie chicken short cut is so perfect to save time. Thank you for taking the time to comment!! 🥰🥰
Delicious! Can’t stop making this tasty brew!!! One day I shall double the recipe! This is the very first recipe I’ve ever rated…it’s that good!
sara a. says
Yay! I feel lucky to have the first recipe that you’ve rated — thank you!! And I’m so glad you love the soup, Anita!