I know blue cheese is seriously funky. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who is like, “well, blue cheese is okay sometimes…” Most people either really dig it, or absolutely despise it. (Usually it’s the latter.) However, for those of us out there who love it, this chunky blue cheese sauce is my favorite. It is REALLY thick, so it’s perfect for dipping sauce with wings, spreading on top of buffalo chicken sliders, or spooning onto tiny burger sliders.
First, you have to start with really great blue cheese. It’s easy to default to purchasing the least expensive version of some foods, but sometimes you have to pony up and get the good shit. This is one of those situations. Higher quality blue cheese offers a creaminess that you don’t find it the least expensive options. Some blue cheeses even have touches of spice or smoke in them now. (Hint : eat those. They’re freaking delicious!)
This recipe makes about 1/3 cup of chunky blue cheese sauce. Certainly double it if you need more! But, in small batch fashion, I made this one to satisfy two or three people.
You can whip this stuff up in no time. Use good ingredients, mix them all together, and wha la! You’ve got a killer blue cheese sauce to use on anything your heart desires.
If you need recipe ideas to use with chunky blue cheese sauce, I highly recommend making buffalo chicken sliders, buffalo chicken lettuce wraps, or buffalo tots, 🙂 (Yes, I love all things buffalo chicken. Except the buffalo style cauliflower stuff. Don’t do that to me.)
I’ve also recently made ground beef burger sliders, and added the blue cheese sauce with onion, lettuce, and tomato on top. That post is definitely coming soon! Whatever you enjoy this with, I hope you love it! <3
chunky blue cheese sauce : a small batch recipe for two.
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tsp. buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- dash Worcestershire
- dash hot sauce your favorite
- pinch about 1/8 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp. high quality blue cheese
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, and red wine vinegar into a small bowl. Use a fork to whisk them together until they are smooth and creamy.
- Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, garlic salt, and pepper. Whisk together and fully combine everything.
- Add blue cheese crumbles, and use your fork to mash it into the dressing. Stir a few times after mashing the blue cheese, that way it is fully mixed in.
- Chill for at least a couple of hours before serving. This way, the flavors have a chance to hang out and blend together. It really makes it better!