An Easy, Shredded Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wrap Recipe
Easy dinner recipes are all the rage for us lately. My most popular blog post of all time is these buffalo chicken sliders for two, and people LOVE them. I originally posted this shredded buffalo chicken lettuce wrap recipe about six years ago, so it was due for an overhaul.
I’ve updated this recipe to use grilled chicken. The flavor is outstanding, and it’s very easy to shred (or chop). I recommend seasoning your chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. However, I also recommend a Roasted Garlic & Herb Chicken seasoning, or your current favorite garlicky chicken seasoning.
Ingredients for Grilled Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- Salt, Pepper & Garlic Powder OR your favorite Garlic-based Chicken Seasoning
- 10 ounces Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Buffalo Sauce (or more to taste | I like Frank’s)
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar, Pepper Jack, or Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1 cup Creamy Ranch Slaw OR Shredded Romaine & Ranch Dressing
How do I grill Chicken for these Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps?
Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with the seasoning, and let it rest as you heat up the grill. The longer the seasoning has to absorb into the chicken, the tastier it will be. 🙂 You can let the chicken rest for up to 20 minutes at room temperature before grilling.
We grill our chicken breast over medium heat on the grill. You can also do this inside with a grill pan on the stovetop. I suggest grilling the chicken for 5-7 minutes per side, depending on the the thickness of the chicken breast. The internal temperature must reach 165 F, and the juices should run clear once you cut into the chicken.
Can I use Rotisserie Chicken for these Lettuce Wraps?
Yes, you absolutely can. It’s a super easy and convenient way to cut down the prep time for this recipe! The flavor will not be quite the same, but it will still be delicious. Just shred the rotisserie chicken, start with step #3 in the recipe, and go from there!
Note: If using rotisserie chicken, I recommend using an “original” (plain) flavor. Some of the other flavored chickens may taste a little weird when mixed with buffalo sauce.
What Lettuce is Best for Lettuce Wraps?
- Butter Lettuce (Bibb or Boston Lettuce) – Super soft leaves that are ideal for packing with ingredients and rolling into little lettuce wraps. They have smaller leaves, so your wraps may be little, but still packed with Vitamin A.
- Romaine – Super crunchy, big leaves that are packed with Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and minerals, all for eight calories per leaf. Because they are a sturdy leaf, they tend to break when rolled, so they could be a little messier than butter lettuce wraps.
- Leaf Lettuce (Green or Red) – Packed with Vitamin A, softer than romaine, but big leaves for maximum flavor. The leaves are more flexible than romaine, but the stems are still crunchy. These pictures have green leaf lettuce as the lettuce wraps!
- Iceberg – Crunchy and refreshing, iceberg is the favorite lettuce of many people. Unfortunately, it really doesn’t bring a ton of nutrients to the table. The bright side is that it’s super low in calories (eight per cup), so it’s still a win!
Obsessed with Buffalo Chicken Recipes? Try these, too!
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Loaded Buffalo Tots
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Small Batch Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Buffalo Chicken Caesar Salad (SO good).
These buffalo chicken lettuce wraps are an amazing lighter calorie option for dinner, so make them tonight, or save them for a quick and easy weeknight recipe! For the creamy ranch slaw topping, click here!
Quick Rundown of this Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wrap Recipe:
Actual Prep / Cook Time: 25 minutes (if grilling the chicken; if using rotisserie chicken, this cuts down to about 10 minutes)
Clean-up difficulty: 3
Overall difficulty to make: 3
Price range? This dish is about $5 for two people.
Tips for Making Grilled Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- Season the chicken breast, and let it sit at room temperature while you start the grill (or up to 20 minutes). The longer the seasoning has to absorb into the chicken, the tastier it will be.
- Allow the chicken to rest for about 10 minutes before shredding. This lets the meat relax, which allows the juices to soak back into it. Juice = flavor, so this is key.
- Fresh garlic is best, but feel free to substitute garlic powder for the minced garlic to save even more time! Just sprinkle it directly onto the chicken before adding the hot sauce.
- The creamy ranch slaw is just so good with this. Of course, any type of dressing will do (and adding blue cheese crumbles is always recommended), but I love this slaw and definitely encourage using it!
© 2021 a flavor journal | originally posted December 13, 2015 | recipe & photos updated in 2021.
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 10 ounces Chicken Breasts
- pinch Salt & Pepper*
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder*
- 1/4 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce such as Frank's
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 Leaf Lettuce Leaves
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar
- 1 cup Creamy Ranch Slaw
- Season the chicken breasts on each side with a pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.* Set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium heat. Grill the chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes per side, until cooked through. Once fully cooked, set them aside to rest for 5-10 minutes. Shred the chicken once they are cool enough to handle.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the shredded chicken and minced garlic. Toss to coat the chicken with butter, then pour in the hot sauce and with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken again.
- Lay the lettuce leaves out onto a flat surface. Top each leaf with 1/2 cup of shredded buffalo chicken, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, and 1/4 cup of creamy ranch slaw.