Buffalo chicken tacos are generally a safe bet to brighten anyone’s day. I know I’ve already posted a recipe for buffalo chicken dip, and I’ve asked you all to send me recommendations for the best wings in the U.S., but I figure we don’t have to stop there.
So? Next stop: buffalo chicken tacos. For #tacotuesday, of course. (I am still struggling with the hashtags). Actually, that reminds me of an interesting occurrence that popped into my life the other day. I was scheduled for a meeting / class that I was required to tune into via landline phone. I dialed in, started listening to the automated voice informing me of the next step and I hear her say, “please press your five digit PIN followed by the pound or hash sign.”
I sat there and stared blankly ahead at the wall. “…pound or hash sign.” No, I didn’t hear that right. I KNOW I’m getting old when I felt my eyes widen and my mouth open slowly. Hash sign? Wow. Have we really reached this point? We are renaming the pound sign OFFICIALLY? Is this the slow movement into the questionable abyss that eventually forgets the proper names for things and shifts to the easy names of things to help the YOLO folks function in the world? It’s like losing Pluto all over again. Quit ruining my normalcy, new generation and science. I liked my bubble with nine planets and pound signs.
Heavy sign. Anyway, so this recipe is perfect for Taco Tuesday or Wednesday or whatever day of the week you feel like throwing it together. Not only is the buffalo chicken the easiest thing in the world to make, but we are going to top it with a SUPER simple creamy ranch slaw. It. Is. Worth. It.
Just for the record, I had buffalo chicken tacos on Tuesday … and I had buffalo chicken over chopped kale last night. The tacos will always win. Cheers!
[my additional tips!]:
Actual Prep / cook time: 25 minutes
Clean-up difficulty: 2
Overall difficulty to make: 2
Overall satisfaction: 9.5
Price range? This dish is under $5 for two people.
What I would change next time? Not a single thing. We’re on a roll!
For your own version, I recommend:.
- I topped my buffalo chicken tacos with blue cheese crumbles and it is AWESOME!
- Warm the taco tortillas in the oven prior to filling with the buffalo chicken!
- The butter at the beginning is not mandatory, but does add some nice flavor. If you choose to omit it, simply add the buffalo sauce at the same time you add the chicken to the sauté pan.
© 2015 : a flavor journal : by sara alvord
buffalo chicken tacos.Spicy, delicious buffalo chicken topped with creamy ranch slaw. Your weeknight dinner will never be the same.Servings: 2
For chicken filling
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce I use Frank's
- 4 small flour tortillas taco size
- 1/2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/8 cup chopped green onion
- 1/8 cup shredded carrot
- 1/8 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/8 cup blue cheese crumbles optional
For creamy ranch
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 1/8 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 T ranch seasoning
For creamy ranch
- Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together until completely combined. Set aside to let flavors meld.
- Toss all veggies together in a small bowl and set aside. Don't mix with the creamy ranch until you are ready to place it on top of the tacos.
- Heat a small sauté pan over medium-low heat. Once the pan is heated, add butter to pan and allow it to melt.
- Add shredded rotisserie chicken to butter in the sauté pan. Stir the chicken around until all of the butter is absorbed into the chicken.
- Add buffalo sauce and repeat. Coat all pieces of chicken in sauce.
- Pour the creamy ranch over the chopped veggies and toss together until all veggies are coated with ranch.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of buffalo chicken into each taco tortilla and top with at least 1/4 cup of creamy ranch slaw.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
NotesIf possible, warm the tortillas in the oven or microwave prior to filling with buffalo chicken. (This is not mandatory).